Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

Don't let people confuse you. It's ohms law. You just can't get high current pulses through any appreciable amount of resistance with ordinary plate voltages.. Period.

Low-DCR throughout a B+ system is a design REQUIREMENT-- it's not subject to opinion-- it is subject to supplying a definite need.

There is no contest. Amplifiers built with high resistance chokes and power transformers sound lifeless compared to the alternative.

This can be a matter of taste. If you want clean, smooth easy listening with no excitement-- no big dynamics, then you can have a really clean, good behaving high-DCR power supply and like it.

I suspect, however, that once you hear really clean, powerful dynamics across the whole audio bandwidth being done right-- just like it was recorded, you won't be looking back. You'll be smiling-- a lot.

You're always going to get arguments against this. It just never stops, and it often takes the form of very good illustrations and proofs to prove its various points-- and then sometimes, it is just observation.

YOU have to decide what you want. If you want to have tube equipment out-perform the best solid-state at what solid state does best, and then have also what tubes do best-- in one amplifier-- well, that has been done. It is LSES and it is low-DCR.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes - tube wrangler 17:35:26 10/05/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.