Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Please don't

This is really very dangerous, unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.
Even if you did (and if you did, you probably wouldn't have asked),the effort in ensuring safety far outweighs the cost / weight advantage.
Domestic equipment manufactures used this technique for many years on radio, audio and TV, for cost and weight reasons. Most of the makers took great effort to make the product safe - no metal was touchable, isolation components on input and output etc. They also developed special valves/tubes with high voltage, controlled current heaters, wired in series, so a heater transformer was not necessary.
Even so, the performance of the radio / audio using this technique was always inferior: Hum and noise being the main problems.

I spent a few years as a member of a national test comittee, and can confidently say that none of the equipment that used these techniques would pass the current safety tests.

Whilst I am happy (but cautious) working in my current 1400v HT amp, I wouldn't build a "live chassis" 380v one!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Please don't - dhaen 02:17:13 09/16/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.