Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Best way to archive 8 tracks?

I hate to be the one to tell you the easy way but maybe the expensive way, but I would look on the Reel to Reel forum (Yahoo) and see if anyone there would do the transfer for you. Some of the guys there are involved with using a reel machine 1/4" tape 8 track heads like a Fostex that would have supperior performance to an actual 8 track deck and then they could extract the signal much better through this method. I have seen discussions but am not sure which guys have actually done this- some of them are retired so time or the lack of it will not be too much a factor. I could do the job for you IF I had a 8 track 1/4" unit but that is one of the formats I do not have or want. I did had an 8 track player/recorder but it was sold many years ago. If you do get one somewhere, I would make sure the heads are not worn out and that the mechanics are in shape- oil in the motor bearings and capstan Shaft is not glazed- correctable by sand paper for this purpose. Then give a tape a try. If the tapes are old they may come apart- that is not the end of all things- all you need to do is get a 1/4" spalicing block and a bit of splicing tape as well as the metal sensor tape- I have custom cut hundreds of tapes and repaired just as many. The big thing is that you want to get tapes that are NOT sonically welded together as these will be a pain to deal with. The ones I used and fixed either snapped together/apart with plastic tabs or there was a screw under the label. E mail me if you need more instructions.

Sam

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Best way to archive 8 tracks? - skywavebe 08:34:29 06/30/04 (1)
    • won't work - rrikola@hotmail.com 11:37:32 06/30/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.