Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Recording with Technics 1500 Reel

Hi Rocky,

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but I will outline the procedure as per my experience and my 1500's owners manual --

Make sure the line in/line outs are hooked up correctly IE:

Looking at the reverse of the machine the output from your SOURCE (receiver tape out, etc, connects @ the line in. This is @ the right side of the machine (incoming signal.)

Connected @ the left portion is the output from the 1500 (your recorded signal) to tape in on your receiver, amp etc.

Make certain to select the 2T/4T switch on the headblock to 2T.

(push in pitch knob,set Eq and bias switches proper for the tape)

Set the record mode switches to the on position.

Set the monitor switches to source, then adjust the recording levels via the line input knob assuming you are recording from a line source and not a microphone.

Lightly depress the playback button while simultaneously pushing the record and pause buttons-- when released, the the record and pause lamps will illuminate.

When the playback button is then pushed the machine will begin to record. Then confirm via source and tape @ the monitor switches -- If you hear material played when you are in the tape position you are confirming that program material is actually going to tape.

--One thought that just came to mind is: During playback make certain that the output knob is turned up (manual recommends a level of 8 as a standard) also-- make certain that the monitor switch is in the TAPE position.

While it may sound like I got really elementary and more than likely you are doing things correctly, I just hope that you missed a step and don't need repairs on the deck--

Once you hear the quality that this deck is capable of you will indeed be smiling!

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out--

Happy Listening

Richard

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Recording with Technics 1500 Reel - Endeavour 12:17:01 06/26/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.