Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Scientific Supply . . .

Do you live near a major metropolitan area ?

If you do..consult the yellow pages under scientific supply.

I bought a quart of the stuff about 20 years ago, before it was a semi-controlled substance.

Whether you'll be able to obtain any without some fanaggling, winking, or arm-twisting is a toss up.

IF your local chemical house (Nurnburg, VanWater & Rogers..etc) refuses to recognize you as a responsible non-terrorist person with good intentions and won't sell it to you...just put on a smiley face and ask them politely to 'recommend' a safer substitute.

I know there are a couple chemicals that ARE safer, and thereby less controlled...but they may not be as effective.

I already have carbon Tet, so I haven't made any efforts to discover a substitute....but I suppose if PUSH came to SHOVE, and after exhausting all alternatives, you could experiment with alcohol or naptha.

As with all unknow applications, you'd be wise to start on a trial basis - experimenting with the smallest quantity possible on the smallest surface area that will allow you to evaluate whether it's doing the job.

Start with small amounts and if it's NOT working, gradually increase the amounts until you get results.....all the time keeping a weather-eye out for signs of trouble.

Naptha (lighter fluid) is the most refined product on the petroleum list. It evaporates rapidly, is not particularly caustic, and leaves little residue. I recommend it for many cleaning jobs, but I can't predict just how it might react with organic contaminants such as mildue, mold, lichens or mushrooms!

*heh*

Good luck.

L7

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Scientific Supply . . . - Louie7 14:51:10 06/20/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.