Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Vinyl is back with a vengance. Why not tape?

Why not? Take a look at the price for good recordings. The cheap stuff claiming to be copies of master tapes (note that the ads are often for goods in Russia......) that you will see on ebay, etc. are poor....vinyl can sound much better.

The great stuff, well, be prepared to spend $400-$600.

Be prepared to get a big, high quality deck to realize the potential.

Be prepared to maintain said deck.

And what a pain, locating songs from the beginning, unless you wish to just play a whole tape at a time.

I'm a guy with two of the big studio decks, and one of the big turntables to compare to it. Tape makes folks say "Ooooooohhhhhhhh and ahhhhhhhhhh" before it is even turned on. I don't care about that stuff. For me, if I want really very high quality sound I'll play a great record. "Ah, the choices of great sonics on a record are limited in titles" you may say. And I"d say "Many many times less limited than the titles on tapes".

Now, if you are talking about the old 7.5 and lower commercial tapes of the 60's, forget it. Quality is not very high.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vinyl is back with a vengance. Why not tape? - horn kid 05:59:33 07/25/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.