Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

So... this is what the new...

Relapped set of heads look like. The top photo is the original set of heads with a 5mm wear as you can see from the flatness look on the top of the head, although they’re still usable according to the technician who’s doing the restoration project, but it will require some time and effort. So I’ve decided to replace it with a new set of relapped heads that he had available, as you can see in the bottom part of the photo.

My Revox PR99 MKII went through an extensive restoration project recently after I’ve found out that the sound were starting to degrade especially in the higher frequencies. The restoration project was more than I anticipated as he ended up modifying the equalization card so he can recalibrate the 15IPS speed properly. He also recapped all the boards, which I hope will sound just as good as new, replaced all the burned out lights, replaced the main sound bar, replaced the main switch board, clean up all the cards and re aligned and other little things that needed attention. So at the end of the day, this is just as good as the new Revox PR99 MKII machine.

BTW, the technician told me that my Revox PR99 MKII is 99% consist of Studer parts now, which is nice to know as I can probably re sell it as a Studer reel to reel machine in the future.

Edits: 03/27/14 03/27/14 03/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - So... this is what the new... - kootenay 12:30:48 03/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.