Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Heifetz

In general I like the 45RPM sonics better than the 33RPM's done by Classics. There are some real issues with some of the 33RPM reissues, like Venice and the LSC-1806 Also Sprach which have pretty etched high frequencies. I have originals of just about all the reissues and I bought the 33RPM's when the first came out to get cleaner copies, with hopefully better sonics. It took until the 45RPM's to get what I wanted. However, there are several of them that do have these awkward movement splits. I can't remember all of them, but I also think the Heifetz Tchaikovsky may have a similar problem in the first movement, IIRC.

I have the new reissues done by Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds who now owns Classic Records. He is redoing 25 titles and the first three are out on 33RPM. They are really fine, better than the Classic 45 reissues and I think better than the original RCA releases, including the LSC-2436 Reiner Pines of Rome which I have in the rare 1S pressing that has the deep bass. I will be buying the set as it comes out. Acoustic Sounds has pretty regular 10% off and free shipping for $99 or more orders (as does Music Direct and Elusive Disc, my three sources for new vinyl), so you can get some pretty great stuff for around $30 an album. I won't tell you how much I paid for the 1S Pines of Rome.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Heifetz - astrotoy 18:21:14 01/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.