Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Crossover help

I have been doing some reading on building my own crossovers and have some questions since I am new. Most relate to power handling issues of components.

1. I want to tone down my tweeters and I am pushing about 30 watts rms in my system. From looking around at the usual electrical and stereo supply shops the biggest resistor that I can find says it handles 10 watts. I have seen 3 way speakers that have resistors and capacitors built in that look very much like the 1/4 watt resistors you buy at Radio Shack. What wattage rating should I be using for speaker systems. My current stereo is only pushing 30 watts, what happens if I build a system running 75 to 80 watts rms.

2. Same question for capacitors and inductors for the crossovers and where is a good place to buy what you recomend.

3. When you do the math to find the right size inductor and capacitor for the crossovers, you use the resistance of the speaker to determine the correct size. If you put a resistor in the mix to quite things down for the tweeter, do you then have to account for the extra resistance in the speaker wiring to get values, or is it still just dependent on the speaker resistance. Example: if the tweeter is 4 ohms, and I use an 8 ohm resistor to quiet it down, do I do the math for the high pass based on 4 ohms (tweeter) or 12 ohms (tweeter and resistor).

I am new to this, but I am doing my best to learn what I can on my own. Any and all help is appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Crossover help - jeep8589@yahoo.com 17:42:31 03/24/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.