Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Are 63 V smoothing capacitors too tight for my power amp?

Meglo,
only you can do the cost / benefit. If your current (no pun intended) resistors were some cheesy carbon units, than yeah, a complete redo with a good film resistor could help. Only those in the signal path to be replaced? Caps, too, than. Same proviso. If you have some real nice caps in a premium amp, than the change to 'better' caps may not net you what you intend.

If you went thru the whole thing cost-no-object, would you have the equivalent of say.....2x the original cost of your amp at retail? You are also limited by the original design. The amp was voiced with what's in it now and built to sell for X #of $$.

How expensive was the amp in the first place? Is is just possible you are up against the wall here?
How much would you put into the upgrade? Put some arbitrary value on your time, add in all parts and the resale value of the amp as it now sits. Could you replace it with substantially better for that much?

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.