Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I copied this off Sound Labs website .

I figure since the ESL/SET amp discussion has come up again,I thought this might be of some interest.Keep in mind that SoundLabs ESLs are very expensive and out of the reach of the average person like myself.

What is the Minimum Power that you Recommend?

I personally recommend 100 watts minimum. However, we have customers that use 30 watt single-ended triode amplifiers and find them to be satisfactory. The equivalent one-meter sensitivity of our speakers (measured at 4 meters) is approximately 88 to 100 db (depending on the equalization settings). This is typical of the more efficient high-end-quality speakers.
Are Your Speakers Difficult to Set Up?
Which type of Amplifier works best, Tubes or Solid-State?

The real question is, which do you prefer? The high-impedance of our speakers in the lower frequencies (where the musical spectrum is most demanding) results in a greatly reduced current drain from the amplifier. So, both types of amplifiers run cooler, exhibit less distortion and last longer. Our speakers are very neutral and are not prejudiced, so what you prefer is what sounds best.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - I copied this off Sound Labs website . - Michael Samra 18:33:58 10/03/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.