Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: What tubes to use with this Interstage Transformers?

So, you are saying whatever resistor connected to the source becomes the actual source including the resistor value?

yes.

50ohms impedance with 1K series is 1050ohms source and 5K becomes 5050ohms source?

yup.

So, why don't we just all use 5K ohm OPT in series with a 5K ohm resistor and call it a true 10K ohm transformer?

It will provide a 10K load to the source but the problem is 1/2 the voltage will show up across the resistor and 1/2 across the transformer primary netting only 1/2 the voltage being delivered to the load.

Your assumption of adding R is part of the FG is only correct if that R is placed inside the Function Generator and performs part of the circuit or the transfer function in union with the capacitive reactance Xc and inductive reactance Xl of that circuit.

really? pit the resistor in the box and it suddenly disappears? My signal genrator has a variable output impedacne (50, 75, 135 and 600r) and it is accomplised by a switched resistor network at the output of the device. Sure those resistors are in the box but behave no differently that a similar resistor outside the box.

But placing a series resistor R outside the function generator is really a current limiting for the FG and causing voltage drop across it as the load varies (with or without varying frequency).

that is pretty much the definition of output impedance.

It's really that energy is lost in that resistor and not transferred to the Transformer.

again that is what output impedance does.

It must be why no one wants to use 5K Zp OPT with another big dump 5K resistor to waste energy (power). It also limits the current flowing through the 5K series primary.

If you drive a 5K source from a 5K load you lose 6dB of voltage.

It gets much simpler when you define a voltage source and a current source and an AC impedance source.

then you just need to understand how to implement what you define.

What can AC impedance source supply to a short circuit? Voltage drop across it's own internal resistance or impedance value and current proportionately to that resistance or impedance value right?

right so i you add series resistance to increase the source impedance ohms law dictates that you must also limit current. "current limiting" is not a function of added series resistance it is the result of it.

What can AC impedance source with 5K series resistor as in your suggest supply to a short circuit? Find that out for me and let me know. Where does the voltage drop occur at with respect to Ground?

it can source the exact same thing as if it had a 5K output impedance and no series resistor.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.