Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: What tubes to use with this Interstage Transformers?

I think you are close to a self realization. A little closer than before.

If this self-realization is that a saturating transformer causes a distorted voltage waveform through a finite resistance then that is "old hat" and what I would call a concise explanation of what is happening.

The key point here is if 5000 ohms in series with a signal generator causes these issues, then so will a tube with a 5000 ohm RP.

Ask yourself these questions. At what AC voltage (ac current) will my core saturation occurred at 20Hz.

again.... AC current does not saturate a core. A simple proof of this is to take a 10hy inductor operating at an AC flux of 10,000 gauss and increase the gap size to make it a 1HY inductor. You will now draw 10 times the AC current but the flux on the core will remain unchanged.

I am sure you know that answer. Try in on a transformer if you aren't sure about an inductor. Try the circuit with a series resistor and without a series resistor.

it doesn't matter if it is a transformer or an inductor. saturation is saturation.

But this time, hook up (preferably a good Fluke) AC Ammeter in series with your source and check the current drawn into the inductor (or transformer) and observe the waveform on the scope.

By ac ammeter i suspect you mean current probe for viewing the current waveform on a scope.

Compare your AC current drawn for various tests - one without the series resistor that produces clean waveform and one with a series resistor that have the distorted waveform and let me know your measurements.

I guess the 600 pound gorilla in the corner here is why do we care about the measurements of a device well outside its linear operating range? If the 5K series resistor causes gross visible distortion that simply tells you that it is not suited for audio at that particular voltage / frequency combo.

Earlier on in this thread you said that the Tango NC-20 showed more than a 2dB variation 20-20Khz and if measured from a 50 ohm source I suspect either the measurements are flawed or the transformer is defective since with a 1K source it is flat from 10-100Khz.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.