Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Venturing into SET active system. Does a 45 have enough power?

Its cap coupled, I've looked inside and seen the circuit. There are FAR better alternatives available. Don't waste your money. LOL, especially on two of them !!

I use a Type 45 DC amp on my wire-modified ALTEC VOTT A7-800s. As "I" DIY build it, it has power and dynamics to BURN !!!

I have a friend in KC, MO who runs ONE A-08S on his ALTEC ( A-4?? ) system with a total of FOUR 515Bs and two 288s. The speakers are set up in a converted turn of the 19th century decommissioned fire house.

Contact me, and I will give you his contact information, so you can talk to him directly, hear what his direct experience is !! He had my prototype, a DC 45 amp for about two months on his system in 2015, and went back and forth comparing it to his A-08S 45 amp. You really need to talk to him !!

The ONLY commercial amp I know of in all of audio, that cuts the mustard, is the Serious Stereo 2A3 amp, it trashes everything else in the SET world, and DC set world, handily !! They will be at RMAF, Denver, October 2016. Call and talk to Dennis, he will help you , he KNOWS.

The quad amping, ( which you are thinking of ), adding a (1) an extra active stage and (2) using dissimilar amps with different signatures and timing - on EFFICIENT SPEAKERS - will be an UNfixable degrade compared to a well-executed passive crossover, a single GOOD amp, and a two or, at the most, three way speaker.

Remember this, it will save you much wasted time and grief :

KISS "rules"

in ultimate performance high-end audio set ups.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/23/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.