Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Venturing into SET active system. Does a 45 have enough power?

Hello.

I'm venturing into SETs for a system I'm building and wanted to check my rationale with knowledgeable folks here.

I'm building a 4-way active system, with a pair of subs and midbasses to take care of frequencies below 400Hz with their own SS amps (400W).
Tweeters are 104dB/W and flat impedance at 5 ohm and midranges are being worked on but close to 103dB/W and 12ohm (minimum impedance is 8.8 ohm).

The system will be active and I'm thinking of using a Yamamoto A-08S to drive the tweeters and another A-08S to drive the midranges.

My room is 25m2 (269ft2) and 3m (10ft) high. So a medium-sized room.

Most of the music I listen to is not large-scale orchestra. Jazz, blues, and rock. Some is heavy on the bass dept, but that shouldn't be an issue. I usually listen at 85dB SPL, and sometimes at 90dB (as measured on a Radio Shack handheld SPL meter, C-weight, set to fast) - peaks of course are much higher.

I wonder if having a 45 SET to drive the treble (above 2kHz) and another 45 to drive the midrange (400 to 2000Hz) will be enough. What do you think?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Venturing into SET active system. Does a 45 have enough power? - LewinskiH01 11:41:53 08/22/16 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.