Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Modifying Clip Leads, for Audio Design and DIY building, Making decisions

Had this ALTEC crossover and was powering A-7 speaker with a Type 45 SET amp.

Wanted to hear various 4 uF caps in the crossover, last week. First I used a pair of ordinary clip leads to add the 4.0 uFs at various places in the crossover.

Next, I added TWO clip leads in parallel, and it ALL became easier to hear, and the effect of each added cap being evaluated became more pronounced.

Besides (1) CRUMMY connections a clip lead makes, (2) the wire that comprises the clip lead is also CRUMMY, certainly non-audio.

SO, I thought about that some, last week.

I took Mil Spec copper stranded, silver plated, teflon jacketed wire, and cut them to one eighth a Robert W. Fulton basic audio length ( 57 1/8 th inches - to you young 'uns ) and used 7 1/8 th inch lengths of wire.

Wonder Soldered the original crummy clip leads onto a 7 1/8 th inch lengths of 14 AWG Mil Spec wire. 'Liked listening to that, much much better. Cap polarity became easier to hear !! Music had better timbre, better dynamics, etc etc.

After 20 minutes of hearing that, I made up DOUBLE ( parallel ) 14 AWG Mil Spec clip leads, 7 1/8 th inch wiring, and listened to different film caps on my ALTEC crossover with those. ( Equivalent to 11 AWG ).

Hey, more meat on 'de bone, and better PEAK dynamic drive through the A-7s !!! So, NOW I have at home an array of doubled-up 14 AWG clip leads, to temporarily EASILY hear parts and make aural audio decisions.

The thought occurred to me, I may have made some of the better Clip Leads ever used in audio, last week !!

Maybe double Kimber AGSS for the small value caps ?? :-)

What will happen when I use 3.5 inches and SOLDER the 4.0 uF caps in, using doubled-up wire ?? More delicious sounding than now, I figure.

Nothing I heard remotely equaled a Dynami 4.0 E !!

Have lotsa fun, I certainly am !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 07/27/16 07/27/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Modifying Clip Leads, for Audio Design and DIY building, Making decisions - drlowmu 11:17:49 07/27/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.