Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: How reliable have your SET or SE tube amps been?

RGA - you have a Personal Message emailed to you on 11 April regarding reliability and suppliers of LM-219IA.

I've been using SETs for about 14 years and have had no reliability issues. As you say, the tubes can't be expected to last for ever, but the other electronics should be equally reliable to a similarly-built SS amplifier - and possibly more so than a Class A one. Class A tends to run very hot, whereas it's only the tubes on an SET that get hot and they should be well ventilated.

I'm presently using Chinese Consonance Cyber 845 monos, previously British Art Audio PX-25 and 845 Carissa. Others in my system were not owned by me, so no long-term experience.

I suppose one reason that SETs may be less reliable is that many are hand-built by humans in small works. The bigger brands building large runs of SS amps often use robots which may, or may not, be more reliable! However it's likely that the small producer with his soldering iron and oscilloscope will do more testing to ensure it's running perfectly before sending to customers.

Peter

Edits: 04/14/16 04/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How reliable have your SET or SE tube amps been? - cawson@onetel.com 01:21:49 04/14/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.