Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Pros and Cons ...

from someone who has built both.

OP tranny for Parafeed is smaller, lighter and cheaper ... think PP trannies. No air gap means inductance can easily be made higher for good bass. Overall BW is usually easy to make superior to air gapped trannies as used in SETs. One other advantage is that it's possible to tune the OP stage (cap and tranny) for gentle bass boost to compensate for speaker roll-off PROVIDEd you have sufficient headroom. So far all good!

The big downside is having to use a sizable choke and what some miss is the fact that it MUST be high quality or sonics will suffer (same as if you used a poor quality OP tranny in a SET). Since the choke must be air gapped it takes you right back where you started. In addition you must use a cap and it too must be high quality.

Frankly, IMO there is little sonic difference between well designed SET and Parafeed given that all of the above is observed. So for me there's little point in the extra complexity of Parafeed unless you want to take advantage of the bass boost possibility. Others will argue the opposite and I respect that ... like I say, both can be made to sound just as good as each other!

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Pros and Cons ... - Naz 14:04:59 02/13/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.