Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Snagged a JJ 322

So I just snagged a JJ 322 amplifier and I wondered if anyone here has tried, heard or owned one.

It is a PSE with 300Bs and makes an honest 15 watts (20 if pushed to the wall) and is dual mono in construction (separate power trafos). I haven't converted the voltage yet from 115 to 230V so I haven't actually heard it yet. I am expecting it to be pretty good based on the distortion spectrum I found and the fact that it is using double "C" core output transformers that are actually made by JJ in Slovakia.

Probably the first thing I will do is upgrade the input signal and driver tubes (both will be stock JJs, which kind of suck) but I will keep the JJ 300Bs as they tend to be pretty good.

Given the weight (42Kg!) and design of the thing I have high hopes but it will be going against my mighty NAT Symbiosis SE...no mean task.

This will be the first 300B SET I have owned (I had the VAC 30/30 for a few months that was PP 300B...liked the sound but it wasn't that utterly natural SET sound) but I was encouraged from what I have heard elsewhere.

I will be giving a comparison review in the near future once I get it setup with good tubes and fully run in at my place (it is not a new amp so I don't expect a real break-in time).

The speakers will be Reference 3a Master Control MMC that have now been upgraded with the new Ref 3a Be tweeter (big step forward in transparency) or my Ref 3a L'integrales (also with a tweeter upgrade but of the soft dome variety) so there should be no matching issues.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Snagged a JJ 322 - morricab 08:36:27 04/28/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.