Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I forgot important details in the above explanation. To remove my mistakes...

The fundamental passes with inversion on each stage, -10 being the gain of each stage.

The 2nd harmonic passes with DOUBLE INVERSION on each stage, thereby it is not inverted in effect through the stage generating that distortion. Let me explain. The first inversion is the polarity flip of the circuit stage itself, the next one comes from the polarities of what constitutes "positive 2nd HD" and "negative 2nd HD."

The triode common cathode circuit produces an inversion of a "negative 2nd HD." To illustrate this, a normal expected non-inverted 2nd harmonic distortion product has the positive cosine peaks of the fundamental coinciding with the positive cosine peaks of the 2nd harmonic. An inversion in the triode stage's distortion curve in the transfer function causes the opposite inverted distortion within it: the positive cosine peaks coincide with an inverted 2nd harmonic signal where the peaks of the positive fundamentals coincide with the peaks of the most negative 2nd harmonic signal output.

When you start with the fundamental of the first stage, the fundamental proceeds obviously as: +1 V => -10 V => +100 V.

The harmonic generated from the 2 triodes is thus: 0 => (1)(0.1)(-10)(-10) = +10 and an addditional (10)(0.1)(-10) just generated by the fundamental on the last triode stage alone = -10. Add the two and you get a complete cancellation.

It can be done by graphical calculations to show this to you better. The graph of Vpk vs. Vgk shows negative gain with the flat top of the bending curve for a straight line to appear flattened on the positive signal end and elongated at the negative going end. This one curve is mainly a 2nd order distortion.

Do this again a second time, doing fundamental gain and curvature of distortion from 2nd order, and this time the anode flattens the opposite polarity of the signal on the positive side. This is converting the 2nd to an odd order "square wave" type distortion. It takes away some harmonic richness for people who like it.

The effect can be taken to extreme with a strong signal generator and see it with a scope. Take a look at each stage. The input will be a nice sinewave, we hope. The input to the second stage will be a cut-off on the positive end of the scope (highest voltage) while an elongated sinewave feature will show on the negative going half-cycle. Finally backing off on amplitude, the output of the second stage will show cutoffs at a certain signal level input to have only one cutoff still, the final tube. Small signal distortion is less noticeable in normal use, but it counted to me.

The most problematic amp area with even order cancellation will probably be between driver and final output triodes. The signals start to get large and both these tubes can generate a great deal about the overall tone.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I forgot important details in the above explanation. To remove my mistakes... - commentary 02:59:56 05/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.