Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

A caution

Gerry E. knows this, but I feel I should post it for anyone else reading this thread.

The EML 300Bs are fine in the Paramount, configured for 300B operation. In fact, I've never heard anything but positive remarks from anyone who has used them. Just don't increase the capacitance of the coupling capacitor above the stock design value.

But the Paramount can also be configured for 2A3s with direct coupling. At this point, if you want to use EML tubes the "soft-start" board is necessary to manage the turn-on transient without damaging the tube, and it requires that you wait 20 minutes after turning the amp off before you turn it back on. EML does not consider this an adequate protection, and I have to agree with Jac on this. Some have done this anyhow, and they all love the tube, but it is risky. Again, this applies only to the 2A3 direct coupled version when used with the EML tube.

Look at the EML website if you are technically inclined, Jac has a ton of extremely good technical information. And absolutely no BS.

Edits: 02/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A caution - Paul Joppa 15:45:47 02/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.