Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Affordable SET amps for Alon Lotus speakers

A couple of months ago I was able to purchase a second hand pair of Alon Lotus SE speakers in very good condition at an excellent price. I loved the sound of these speakers at the dealer's showroom, but could not afford the amplifiers with which they were demonstrated (Audio Note SETs).

After listening to a range of amps, my wife & I decided on the Golden Tube Audio SEP-1 / SE-40 combination. The Lotus speakers really do seem to need valve amplification to give their best, and GTA was all the dealer had which was within our meagre budget.

Three months of intensive listening later we are very happy with the speakers, but feel that the amps just don't do them justice. The sound is lacking in the mid-bass area, loose in the low bass (although quite extended), and too prominent in the high frequencies.

Any suggestions for assembled or DIY SET amplifiers better suited to these speakers? Budget must be within US$1,500.

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Affordable SET amps for Alon Lotus speakers - TG 17:23:34 04/26/00 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.