Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I have some questions

I'm going by the information provided by the manufacturer. Specifically that frequency response is 0hz to near infinity, input impedance is approximately 10k ohm, and output impedance is approximately 7k ohm. Perhaps my stating 7k ohm was a worst case scenario was misleading or just wrong.

Bottom line is my Lightspeed is better than my Slagle AVC and another transformer-based passive I have. I have to give most of the credit to the fact that the switch and contacts are removed from the equation, as well as the short signal path and simple design (single input/output, no balance or input controls). According to the manufacturer due to the use of the LDRs the performance of the Lightspeed with a cheap Radio Shack pot will be indistinguishable sonically as with a much more expensive switch.

There are caveats that influence performance as with any other resistive-based passive, and even some transformer-based ones, although I admit they are much more forgiving. The impedance requirements stipulated by the manufacturer should be adhered to, but I will say I've used mine contrary to the input impedance recommendation and found the sound to still be quite good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.