Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Pentodes (EL34, EL84, KT88, 6550, etc.) in SE triode mode suck!!

I have found this topic very interesting, particularly as I have had the pleasure of building both pentode and triode SE's. First I must declare at the outset I am not a fan of 300b based SE as I find them too euphonic to my ears. I am blessed with a very musical daughter who plays all manner of instruments (from piano to drums)both solo and in groups and I therefore have a first hand accurate reference available often in the annex to my house.I therefore am pursuing the impossible holy grail of trying to acquire an accurate nearly lifelike system.
Of the SE amps I've built each sounds better than the AR & Conrad J amps I previously owned. Although the EL84 pentode amp is very good I find that my 2A3 amp is far better all round. However I have recently completed a KT88 (triode mode) SE which sounds more accurate and musical.
I am now having a break from SE amps and am going to build an OTL to see if that comes any closer to my ideal.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.