Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Let's do real study

'Armchair philosophy is useless to me'.

You seem to be under the impression that I am questioning the sonic or musical value of one amp versus another. That is a different area exploration that could be taken up at some point. My question is basic and is rooted in fact.

>>Because different opts are the real reason for different characteristics, and tubes less so<<

Not that this reply is correct but has it ever dawned on you that the different characteristic in tubes that is not apparent could lie in the fact that the OPTS have such a strong characteristic as to not have the resolving power to deliniate the changes in tubes, particularly the input tubes?

There ae many things that go into an amp with the OPTs and the PT being critical along with good power supply design and execution and most certainly a good circuit design and execution.

Again, I am not questioning the sonic merits of John's amps. I heard them and liked what I heard and too many other experienced people, including yourself, have heard them and have been impressed with the sound. I chose not to pursue John's amps because I have my own approach to the hobby. Part of your big interest is John's amps and his ability to draw music out of those Webster OPTs. My interest is researching topologies to gain enough knowledge to be dangerous and then seek enough input from enough people to then have an amp that I am interested in built.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.