Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Thanks for the feedback and good discussion.

Lessons learned:

1. I obviously am still learning about audio circuits, and am still at a very elementary level.

2. Most people with extensive listening and design experience seem to agree that SE amps with "pure" triode tubes sound the best. (Which matches my limited experience.)

3. Even died-in-the-wool curmudgeons with different perspectives such as Joe Rosen and Jack G. can actually agree at times (the most pleasant surprise in this thread).

Other comments:

I still feel, however, that at this forum we should welcome and treat equally all SE amp fans, including those with EL84, EL34, KT88, etc. equally. When people who own or prefer "pure" SET amps make snide jokes about "inferior" designs and tubes, it doesn't always come across as a joke and can create an impression of snobbish and elitism.

I believe that two of the Asylum sponsors, Doc B's "Electronic Tonalities" and George Wright's "Wright Sound Company" provide the best budget-priced kit and ready-built SET amps, respectively, that are available on the market. But I also believe that the $400 ASUSA K2003 and Dec Zen SE amp kits with pentodes are great bargains for those on the smallest budgets.

I hope that all are aware that I started this thread to sort out the differences between ultra-purists and those with broader SE tastes in hopes that we can continue to forge a friendly forum where all single-ended amp fans can gather and enjoy their hobby.

Apologies to Jack G. if I seemed a bit too harsh in my initial criticism.

Dave van Harn

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks for the feedback and good discussion. - Dave VH 10:49:04 04/16/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.