Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

Well guys,
Can I butt in here? Of course, and thanks for the permission. Can I be a martinet and suggest that you are both kind of wrong? Joe gets close here when he says that "the suppressor may be connected to the cathode".
Well, aside from the EL34, I can't think of ANY Power Pentode/Beam Tetrode that doesn't have its suppressor grid permanently connected to the cathode. So I feel that other than the EL34, which I have not heard with the suppressor connected to the anode instead of the cathode, all beam/pentode power tubes are really still 4 element modified triodes. This may explain why they still seem to retain their "Pentode-ness" for lack of a better description. In fact, they still sound to my ears much as they do in Ultra-Linear or Tetrode modes. I hate to sound like I'm agreeing with Jack, but I kind of have to agree with him about the sound of tubes, period.
It would be interesting to float that suppressor in the EL34, and see if the sound breaks free from its "EL34edness". My own suspicion is that reliability might go "aus das fenster" if that suppressor has run with 400 or 500V parked on it. I hope I'm wrong. This would be an interesting experiment, and I'm sure that the tube's bias would be quite different as well...
Anyone out there try this already? I know I'd love to hear about it...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.