Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

You'll be fine with a larger SET

A while back, I owned a pair of Gallo Nuclues Ultimates (4 Dynaudio woofers per side, and a CDT tweeter). These speakers are roughly 84dB/w/m, with 4 ohm nominal, and reproduce a robust full range.

I drove the speakers very well with a Bel Canto SET40, a 35wpc 845tube amplifier. Also, I've had the opportunity to try our deHavilland SET 845 monoblocks and pair them with one of our VMPS RM1 ribbon monitors - high current demanding 4 ohm speakers. The bass impact was not the strongest I've heard, but there was no denying the magic within the midrange that only comes with a good SET/speaker match.

The Virgo III's look to be a more benign load versus either of the above two examples (judging from the measurements). I think you'll be extremely satisified if you go with a larger SET amp, and avoid the SET design implementations based on the sum of paralleling output stages. I've listened to the Virgo II's, and would categorize them as more of a limited full range speaker; something I'd augment with a subwoofer for gentle bass reinforcement, and concentrate on the imaging and musicality that appeared the strengths of these speakers.

Kind Regards,

Rup

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You'll be fine with a larger SET - rkapadia 09:42:14 09/22/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.