Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Dunk is only a term, but your right.

Yep, thermal shock is a real problem especially with polystyrene trim caps and MOVs...Nitrogen is about .16 a liter as I recall, but have to buy quite a bit and forgot the size of the bottles....Deep immersion is said to work better than any other method, but requires days and care....Last quote I had was $8/pound for deep immersion Cryo treatment BTW...The folks up North of town here offered to give me a few liters of nitrogen if I would bring a styrofoam beer cooler....Believe Steve Nugent tried this and it destroyed the lattice of the silver wire he treated.....I think he posted it made Johhny Cash sound like Elvis or something similar :-) Point is find a decent lab and take your wife's stockings and fancy sweaters along with the wire as they will wear better after the process.....Purist Audio Designs and Kimber both have state of the art facilities and funny thing is they just put the whole packing box in rather than opening it......There is a lot of information in the archives here about cryo treatments and the effects on sound is what I imagine John was talking about....Most of the facilities cryo things like drill bits and engine blocks so use one that is familiar with audio before you send a ton of NOS Western Electric 300b tubes to have them cryoed....We will not warranty our preamp if cryoed as the parts were never intended for much below 40 degrees below zero......One of the inmates here wanted to take his new five figure preamp over and get it cryoed and had to take a stance on this......

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Dunk is only a term, but your right. - rcrump 09:05:04 11/27/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.