Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Cryo'd Tubes Measured!--Added comment

I've read about the seemingly dramatic improvements in certain instruments, tools, etc., from cryo treatment, but I'm not so sure freezing tubes is a good idea. The coefficients of contraction/expansion between glass and the tube's metal pins is different. On one hand, if the metal contracts slower than the glass you may microfractures at the metal/glass juncture causing air to be sucked into the tube's vacuum resulting in oxidation of the filament, etc. = tube failure. If the metal contracts faster than the glass, then the junction will again break resulting in air being sucked into the vacuum.

While there may be a sonic improvement, tube life will suffer.

Mike Masztal
Soundstage!

I would have thought something that was a danger in doing this,but we are talking about mechanical devices(or constructed components) and not conductors in raw form.Maybe if the components were Cryo's before assembly it would give a longer tube life.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=10418&highlight=Cryo&r=&session=

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cryo'd Tubes Measured!--Added comment - NEAR SOTA 11:26:28 11/25/02 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.