Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Comfortable home / focused discussion ?

Joey, it has gone that way, but it should not be necessarily that way. This should be a place for the technically inclined to talk 'turkey' without worrying about leaving some behind who are not at all technical. I think that I understand Jon R's position on DBT and this forum is allowing people to give their personal experiences with cables easier now than previously, on the 'cable' section. John R is an engineer, who has done quite a bit of original work on cables and distortion measurements. He just doesn't want the 'hear no difference' crowd to DEMAND DB tests according to their formula. It is almost impossible to tell the difference between almost any component with an ABX test, so long as the gain and the frequency response are matched within about .1 dB, and the distortion is fairly low. I challenge you or anyone else to try it yourself, if you don't believe me. If the ABX tests are accurate, then we are wasting our time here. If they are not accurate, then we still have to use our ears in more open tests, in order to improve our audio products. Of course, it would be great if we could measure the differences that we hear. That is what you, I and Jon R attempt to do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.