Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Your Cable Asylum Dilution Concern

The Cable Asylum was for Cable Stuff without DBT and
The Propellor Head Plaza was for Cable Stuff with DBT.

Seems to me that if all we discuss here are cables with respect to DBTs, we'll run out of stuff to discuss pretty quick, or simply start repeating ourselves over and over.

I think there has probably been a pent up need at AA to discuss cables and DBTs, and people here have had a chance to discuss that subject, but it seems to me there is only so far one can go with that subject.

As I see it, the questions of cables and DBTs primarily boils down to whether the following proposition is valid: cables of similar gauge and length can be responsible for audible sonic differences.

Now, if someone can take two different cables and in a valid blind test, that is verifiable and repeatable, establish that the listeners were able to distinguish between the two cables, they have proved the validity of that statement. To the best of my knowledge that has not been done, and unless and until it is, a lot of discussion (including my own) about DBTs is pretty much mental masturbation.

In addition, as I see it, to make matters worse, while there have been sporadic cable DBTs reported that produced null results, none of them as far as I can tell were conducted in a manner that would make the results reliable. This may not be particularly significant because no matter how many valid tests with null results were to be performed, they never could completely disprove the validity of that statement; it being up to the proponents of the its validity to produce one valid, repeated blind test demonstrating its validity. However, to the extent such prior DBT results get tossed around as if they were valid tests, when in fact they may not have been, the issue simply gets more clouded, and the more clouded the issue gets the more emotional the discussion of it seems to get.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.