Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Are we asking for a true/false answer to a multiple choice question?

"The Best!"-There will never be the Best of anything for Cables,Amps,CDP's,DAC's or any type of equiptment.It comes down to synergy between components and speaker's.It is personal taste that make alot of things better than other's,but then there are things like Transparentcy,Sounstaging,Bass,Treble,Midrange,Instrament seperation and Details revealed that make a system sound good and those things can be judged.

There is the question of weather Cables make a difference at all that astounds most people to begin with and narrowing down what might be happening would be a breakthrough.

The thing I see in the cost question is how much time and effort it takes to design a good cable construction.Then there is the material cost.After that marketing cost.Those are the things which make some cables so expensive.There are the mass producers like Monster that have a good hold on the mass consumer marketplace that can hold some cost down.Then you get to Companies like Transparent who I think are more a specialty cable company which makes their cable prices high.I spoke to them about their TT's and they just do special orders now.

"Lastly, how can absolute value judgements be made (cable X is better than cable Y), in the event the differences are audible, given the fact that perceptions of "good" and "bad" are personal, and subjective?"

That I think is a synergy question as much as what I had stated before.Transparent and highend cables are more revealing of the components that are upstream to the source.There is overkill also.Like why would someone put $3000 cables on a $1500 reciever.
If Dr.O'tooles statement is read an interpretation of performance to cost then at some point it does get to be ridiculous.That is my opinion.

Technology breakthroughs are helping.Measurement equiptment is helping to explain and find better ways of finding out what might be happening.

What designs work better with some equiptment then fall short working with other's is a good question?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Are we asking for a true/false answer to a multiple choice question? - NEAR SOTA 03:31:43 11/21/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.