Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension

Well, you avoid one point. I have given examples where speaker cables make an audible difference and where interconnects can make an audible difference. These are quite intelligible on rationalist grounds, and so it is quite unfair to characterize the rationalist position as being that cables and interconnects do not make an audible difference under any circumstances. Indeed, to find those circumstances and determine how likely they are to occur is one of the goals. Another consequence is that naysayers is not a very good word to characterize the rationalists.

Now, I quite easily recognize your basic position, which has been characterized in various ways. Aristotle called it wonder. Wonder is the beginning of all science and philosophy (Metaphysics I,2). One is faced with alternative trains of reasonings and opinions which seem to be authoritative and correct but which also seem incompatible with each other. From his procedure, that is what Aristotle seems to have meant by wonder. That is, you accept your perceptions about, for example, the sound of cables, but also see that there is no scientific proof that they are correct. So you are in a state of wonder.

This is not something many people find easy to understand. They feel you ought to decide one way or the other, get on with life, etc. They may interpret it as waffling or worse, and there is not much you can do about it. But this does not allow for time to process the matter, nor to find ways of dealing with the various elements. I understand this and I think mtry does as well. Some don't, and there is no use getting too upset about it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.