Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Don't be too hard on them…

If you hear something on a sighted test and you can't distinguish it reliably on a blind test, you're in a very interesting position. How do you explain it to yourself? Even if you thought you heard a large difference on the sighted test, you may very well be inclined to think that the difference wasn't so large and that in fact you were mistaken and it actually was small enough that you couldn't reliably distinguish it on the blind test. Would you want to shell out a lot of cash for the expensive cable in those circumstances? I think I would have reservations and I wouldn't criticise anyone who had doubts after such an experience. They are experimentting and listening and we each hear what we hear and make our own decisions on that. Even when we're basing our decision on what we consider are significant differences heard in a sighted test, we sometimes baulk at the cost differential between items. If you can have doubts there and decide on a cost benefit analysis to go with the item that costs less, why would you want to criticise the person in your example for not going with the expensive item?

I admit that's added in another factor - price - to your scenario but I don't think it's an unreasonable factor to introduce since it's often a factor to be considered anyway and one can understand it carrying more weight for someone who had failed to distinguish the item on blind testing.

David Aiken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.