Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I agree - but it works both ways.

"The appearance of science is an effective marketing tool, heck, look to the largest in audio or any area and you usually see companies with the image of technology with much less real substance behind it."

No kidding! I was working (in a non-audio consumer outfit) with a marketeer one time and he was trying to figure out a way to convey the essence of a new product to the customer (without using my lovely technical explaination). Suddenly he asked "Could I say it uses 'MPD technology'?" So I said "of course you could but what does it mean". And he said roughly that "it means that we will sell a lot of them".

It was an eye-opener for me and perhaps that's why I'm fairly cynical about arm-waving, mystical cable and power conditioner outfits with their PDQ processes (but no actual specifications).

On the other hand that doesn't necessarily mean that their product isn't a good one, ours was (IMHO) and the main thrust of the advertising was just to get prospective customers off their duffs and try one for themselves. What the customer wants to know is if it will do the job and why is yours better than the others so I suppose that forcefully asserting that "it's as good as you can do because it's got PDQ" covers the ground...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I agree - but it works both ways. - rick_m 09:11:39 10/13/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.