Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I agree - but it works both ways.

Well, some DBT proponents are out to prove that all audio equipment sounds the same, in which case they are entitled to their labcoats and $100 best buy stereo systems. Others want to devalue sighted listening auditions in general, the reasons being for this vary.

I think objectivists are far too quick to throw away the benefits of sighted listening, aural training and attempts to listen sighted without being biased. (Then again, some say that's not possible, yet most people audition and purchase gear this way). As for subjectivists, some seem to get hung up on the "null result" hypothesis and completely dismiss DBTs and all other forms of blind testing as 'irrelevant to audio'. The extremist from both camps, IMHO, are missing the picture.

Ask any speaker designer who does a/b comparisons between crossover iterations. He'll be trying to decide whether or not an added eq or impedance compensation circuit is worth the added cost and complexity. If the sonic benefit is not there (aka there is no sonic benefit or the benefit is extremely small) he may choose not to include the addition.

The design of the addition and it's measured effect are objective.
The choice to include them or not is highly subjective.

In this example, you can't have one without the other. Without objective design there is no design. Without subjective choice, all designs which theoretically improve the sound must be used whether or not they actually make audible improvements worth doing. And that's not how audio equipment is usually designed. A lot of "theoretically best" designs are changed so they sound good instead of just being theoretically best. In other cases, "theoretically best" designs are not always selected as the best sounding either.

At the end of the day, the exact corollary between what measures good and what sounds good is not 100% established. Although we have some general ideas, the right measurement for the "perfect sound" does not yet exist. And even if it did, it would surely not please everyone.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.