Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "Accuracy": not simple, alas

Tony I agree that it is not as simple as a few measurements at a few points along the path. I agree that those snapshots, taken for convenience and often abused, don't tell the whole story. I even agree that subjective listening is the most important measurement. So let's just say it's all subjective. My active rig in which the amplifiers, with great, though limited, imperfect numbers and loads of excess headroom are matched by design to the individual drivers in my speakers, is no more accurate than a turntable into a SET tube amp into speakers with an efficiency rating in the high 80s. Trust me, there are plenty who would say that such a thing. Never mind the wow, the flutter, the compression, the clipping, the very measurable and high harmonic distortion. If the lover of that vinyl/valve system thinks its best, it is.

And my little active monitors are better than the most elaborate custom midfield system, because I think they are. The very essence of subjectivism. Measurements don't tell the whole story, so they don't matter. Let's throw them out. Let's abandon the goal of accurate reproduction because accuracy is in the ear of the beholder. If it sounds good it is good.

Cool. Close down the discussion boards, brother. We have absolutely nothing left to discuss.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.