Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

So now we're talking of a direct feed . . .

That is a different situation and not what Meyer and Moran tested. And for this new situation, all you offer is anecdotal evidence. That would be a good reason to do a controlled DBT to see if it's actually so, but you have such a low standard for what you accept as evidence.

I have Telarc Digital Stereo 5039, the famous LP recording of Band Suites by Holst, and music by Handel and Bach. In the liner notes, Stan Ricker said: "The signal from the digital sounds exactly the same as what we heard coming from those transformerless Schoeps microphones." Of course, the Soundstream sampled at 48 kHz, not 44.1 kHz.

So, I can find anecdotal evidence which indicates hi-rez is not necessary to produce recordings indistinguishable from the mic feed. Now, if you could only come up with some controlled DBTs that establish your beliefs, that would be great.

The fact is that the SACD and DVD signals were passed through a 44.1 kHz DAC and were not distinguished by the audiophiles taking the tests run by Meyer and Moran. Coming up with some other situation which you think should be tested doesn't affect the validity of their results.

According to E. Brad Meyer, "no one can tell when an ABX box is in the circuit." To make your objection at all significant, you would have to show that someone, at least, can hear it in the circuit. I've been waiting for years.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.