Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Test procedures? Holding back progress? Surely you jest..

""The smaller size of 4135 make it more accurate in frequency response, but S/N is worse.
I have some curves on 4135,4134,4133 compared."" (quote from Ole...)

""It is difficult to get better sound, but it will not be done by the folks taking about test procedures. They only tend to hold back progress"" (John Curl)

One wonders how Ole got the curves for the mike elements. Perhaps it was on the shoulders of people before him, developing test procedures using and developing SOTA equipment. Perhaps he owns one pair of the shoulders, and is directly responsible for the tests responsible. I speak of.

You are not asking his opinion of the mikes..rather, the two of you are discussing actual repeatable, verifiable tests and curves. Not whether they sound more "full bodied, airy, sweeter, etc. But measured curves. They may sound "full bodied,...etc"., and many people would be comfortable talking about them in that fashion. But, electrical testing and nomenclature was used here, by Ole and John C.

Folks talking about test procedures? If you assume magic is responsible, test procedures are not useful. But that sounds suspiciously like "OZ", "pay no attention to the man in that booth".

If you assume tests will eventually be established to measure what is heard, then adopting the stance "they only tend to hold back progress" will in itself hold back progress. Didn't you just buy 20 grand of test equipment? Do you folow test procedures for using it?

For speaker cables, an additional constraint is the ability of testing high di/dt. A VERY difficult thing to do without error. That is my primary focus. But I don't think my focus is holding back progress.

Cables? Oh, somebody will find out...Maybe not JohnC, maybe not John E, but someone. And everybody else will learn and use, as they did with frequency responce, noise floor, S/N, IM, THD, TIM.

And, reporting failures to the world is as important as succeses. Why repeat?

I'm sure my stance is applicable to all testing, not just electrical.

TTFN, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.