Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Debating

And don't forget PT is a Lawyer so it is in his nature to debate such matters and others like I said try to play the devils advocate roll and waste space.:)L

On a personal note, I’d like to say that in my profession I get paid to advocate positions for my clients within an adversarial justice system, which, at least in theory, is designed to enable the judge and jury to arrive at just and truthful results.

Here I certainly raise questions of both subjectivists and objectivists. But I challenge you to find one instance here or at AR where I have advocated inconsistent positions on a specific issue, with the possible exception of some issue where I might have changed my mind and clearly indicated that I had in fact changed my mind.

But on the broader and much more important point, isn’t it (or at least shouldn’t it be) also in the nature of scientists to debate? Doesn’t the advancement of scientific knowledge require the critical examination of theories, hypothesis’ and test result? Isn’t the best scientist the one who is willing to intensely examine an issue from as many sides as possible? It seems to me a scientist who doggedly clings to a particular theory or viewpoint simply because he sees himself personally identified with such theory or viewpoint, in most cases serves only to impede the advancement of knowledge. Such scientists, it seems to me, are the ones most likely to take issue with anyone who attempts to examine or question their pet theory or viewpoint.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.