Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

you got me. I need to retake logic 101. Round 3:

1. SACD/DVD-A releases generally sound much better than their CD counterparts.
2. Assuming that the releases come from the same "master tapes", the difference can occur for only two reasons:

a) the mastering of the high res release is changed compared to the CD
b) the high res releases inherently capture more detail (when the mastering is modified to handle the additional detail but is otherwise held constant).

3. *If* you believe that the BAS DBT yielded an obviously meaningful result, then b) is not possible - the effect of higher resolution, when studied in isolation, cannot explain the large difference in sound quality. And even if you don't believe it, the fact that so many supposed audiophiles couldn't tell a difference still casts b) into question. Such an apparantly subtle effect, if it managed to be missed in a DBT, still cannot explain the large quality difference.

4. Therefore, the difference in sound quality between SACD/DVD-A is due to improved mastering, because it cannot be due to increased resolution.

Furthermore, changes in mastering have been known to yield considerable improvements in sound quality, in the same format.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.