Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Yeah, I've read it.

I do have to agree that the test description and analysis is surprisingly thin. No equipment readout, no results breakdown by listener or location or whatnot, no detailed description of listening venues, no musical selections. No null hypothesis, no description of type I/II error.

The impression I'm getting is that the paper provides just enough information to give people with anti-high-res bias enough justification to continue ignoring it, and not enough to ever convince anybody else one way or the other. So I can clearly understand what you and Todd are saying about the "token peers" thing. One needs to trust the Meyer/Moran's test setup and analysis on basically all counts, on faith, to believe the conclusion, and that's quite a leap of faith to make.

On the other hand... would it have ever mattered in this dicussion if all that information was provided? Most audiophiles, it seems, do not hold much stock in blind testing at all, no matter how well it's conducted, or the requirements placed on it are so large that they make the tests entirely unfeasible. (cf the whole argument about type II error and requiring thousands of listeners to keep it low.) I mean, I'm tempted to just email Meyer and ask him for full documentation on the tests. Asking for more information after a paper is published is entirely acceptable. His email is right on the top.

Clearly, there is a grey area between "a test that provides an unambiguous and comprehensive result" and "a meaningless test that doesn't show anything". Everybody agrees that the test isn't the former. I don't think there's enough evidence to state that it's also the latter. Especially when - in a lot of people's experience, including my own - high res just doesn't sound any better than Red Book, everything else being equal.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.