Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Perhaps you all might agree with the conclusion more?

That is, if any of you have an AES membership to read it. But, I guess nobody here does... Oh! Wait. I've got the article right here. Along with your moms. ZING!

"Virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs — sometimes much better... Partly because these recordings have not captured a large portion of the consumer market for music, engineers and producers are being given the freedom to produce recordings that sound as good as they can make them, without having to compress or equalize the signal to suit lesser systems and casual listening conditions... Our test results indicate that all of these recordings could be released on conventional CDs with no audible difference. They would not, however, find such a reliable conduit to the homes of those with the systems and listening habits to appreciate them. The secret, for two-channel recordings at least, seems to lie not in the high-bit recording but in the high-bit market."

In other words, SACD and DVD-A releases generally sound better than CD, for reasons that have nothing to do with the encoding. Everybody - including (almost) all the DBT folks at HydrogenAudio - agree with that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.