Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Where was I.

" find this to be analagous to saying that drug trials do not require a control group."

Yes, but it isn't the people that are the control element. And it wouldn't be people that are the control element in audio testing either.

"Training involves many things, one of them is testing the listener for the ability to discern known JNDs."

Testing isn't training. I agree with a limited number of participants you would want to know what their hearing apability is - as well as with more targeted testing.

"If, for example, a listener can not realibly hear known, scientifically proven differences about say 10Khz, then using that individual to test for suspected differences in that area would be pointless."

I agree.

"No, the purpose of rapid switching is to avoid short term memory issues and has nothing to do with the stimulus."

I disagree, in part, the rapid switching in itself creates a stimulus. If it didn't we wouldn't react to it. Which is why such great lengths must used to level match, among other things, to avoid erroneous results.

"The test tone or material would be the stimulus and must be designed to test where suspected differences lie. Again, if that is above 10Khz as an example, then playing tones in the 1Khz area or bass instruments would be pointless."

Well, okay, I can agree there. Now I'm really curious, you seem to be around 10kHz all the time, any particular reason?

" in line with accepted methodologies."

With all the arguing about methodologies, I wonder if thre truely are any, at least pertaining to cable DBTs.

I'm getting the impression that we are on different pages regarding this very broad subject and the discussion will continue in a fragmented mode unless we agree on what we're specifically talking about. So perhaps hitting the reset button and starting over might be in order.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Where was I. - Jitter_by_Coffee 21:08:13 11/13/02 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.