Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I believe it is the tests that are flawed, not the equipment

If the musical experience were limited to listening to static sine waves or even two frequency intermodulated tones, then I would agree with the Jit Meister - and the old McIntosh clinics where they presented you with a mighty impressive looking THD chart generated by their high buck SOTA test gear. Yessiree, we can measure tones right on down to the basement! For those individuals who enjoy listening to test tones, then the audible results would likely correlate with the measurements. Fine.

Music lovers, on the other hand, listen to a very different environment. The only constant here is change. This world consists of a highly complex, harmonically-rich, and dynamic environment of REAL music. Of all the engineers here in the Asylum, I find Jim Johnson's (aka jj) comments the most compelling. He acknowledges that all standard measurements are essentially useless. It's not so much that they are wrong - just irrelevant. He states that indeed all that can be heard CAN be measured using tests. It's just that such relevant tests would be extremely complex and are NOT the ones touted here as being authoritative.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.