Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You've lost me here, Phil

The context of your original DBT post at the top of this thread was about wires. Now, you tell me that you recognize -- and pay for -- the difference between wires. Why, then, the interest in DBTs for wires, since all that a DBT will ever establish is the existence of a difference -- something that you already acknowledge exists?

All I have told you is that I pay for after-market cables. I haven't told you I recognize anything at the level of scientific verification.

I pay for after-market cables because the ones I use produced, what I perceived to be, an improvement in my system, and the perceived improvement was consistent and significant enough that I was willing to pay for it - Steve Eddy refers to that as the "hedonistic" approach to audio - it's purely subjective. But the fact that I make those personal choices based on what brings me pleasure, says nothing about what I believe, from a pure dispassionate scientific view point, as to actual audible, sonic differences. When I choose to buy after-market cables I'm not concerned about the science of the issue or whether my perceptions of improvement are real or imagined. I care only about one selfish thing, and that is my pleasure level.

The fact that I choose cables that way should not preclude me from approaching the scientific discussion of cables from a dispassionate viewpoint of simply wanting to get to the truth in a scientifically valid manner.

In order to provide further elaboration on this, please refer to this other post of mine:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/prophead/messages/230.html

I believe that the questions I'm raising in this forum can stand on their own, without any reference to how I make my own personal decisions, or what I do behind closed doors in the secrecy of my own sound room. The reason I referred you to my system is simply to reinforce my statement that I have never attempted to advance the "wire is wire is wire" view point. All I'm attempting to advance at this forum is a dispassionate search for the truth.

From a purely scientific view point, which I understand is the orientation of this forum, the only position I take with regard to the question of whether cables of similar gauge and length can be responsible for actual sonic difference is that, to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever demonstrated under valid, control conditions that at least one human being can detect sonic differences when two different cables of similar gauge and length are switched in and out of a system. If you or others have information to the contrary, I am totally open to valid scientific evidence on either side of the question.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: You've lost me here, Phil - Phil Tower 08:06:22 11/13/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.