Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You will learn the hard way

I find it funny you keep referring to Lynn Olsen, Mr. DIY SET guy. If you look at his own webpages you will see he is deep into tube gear. Yet because he gave your amp a good rating once you use him as a paragon of audio journalism or something (not that he is not but it is not the reason).

Just to show how much more he is in my philosophical camp than yours (or am I in his?) here is a quote about his Amity and Karna amplifiers:

"One thing I really like about the Amity and the Karna is the extraordinary transparency and vividness of tone color; to me, they are better than anything else I’ve heard. What’s interesting is that intrinsic low distortion sounds quite different than low distortion attained through feedback techniques; low-distortion-via-feedback has a characteristic “clean” sound, akin to a well-designed transistor amplifier, but the tone colors tend to be flattened out and diminished compared to a no-feedback design.

When the devices themselves are linear it sounds quite different. As before, the sound is “clean” in the sense of absence of coloration, but there’s so much more. Tone colors are vivid; textures are right there in front of you - you hear the sound of skin on drums, the woodiness of a cello, the weight and scale of a piano, and the emotional inflections of a singer. You stop listening to hi-fi and start experiencing music. This is the realm of the direct-heated triode, the most linear device of all, but also the most tempermental.
"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: You will learn the hard way - morricab 09:19:06 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.