Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Some morsels

Thanks. Glanced at the article. Interesting, but seems to be focusing on the fact that known musical instruments have harmonics above 20Khz, which no one doubts. What I find less tantalizing is the fact that, based on very little that is substantive, the author concludes that because they are there somehow we must hear them. Strange. Kind of like saying because Pluto is there we can see it with the naked eye. Correct me if I am wrong. The author then goes on to mention some heretofore unknown mechanism whereby humans perceive these frequencies trough something other than the ear itself. Very little to support what he is saying. On one of these experiments, the author indicates that he got only partial results which have to do with EEGs monitoring brain activity all the while the subjects claim to hear nothing. The other source dealt with profoundly hearing impaired people. I am not certain that adding to the mix by delving into research on hearing pathologies qualifies as supporting that normal hearing goes beyond 20Khz. Then again, I am not an expert or scientist and wish that those more qualified than me provide their input. Good day.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.