Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I wish you had numbered your points......

"As I understand it, reduced to its essence, DBT is nothing more than a protocol scientists and engineers commonly use to eliminate bias when attempting to test the ability of human senses to distinguish between two or more different sources of sensory signals or to determine preferences between two or more different sources of sensory signals."

Yes.

"The need for blind testing seems to me to be readily understood and accepted by both wine and chili connoisseurs, so it has always baffled me why there is so much emotional resistance to it in the world of audio."

This becomes apparent later, but the short answer may be the "not invented here" syndrome.

"Having said all that, however, I understand that if one desires to subject two or more different cables to a blind test to determine if they actually produce sonic differences, the issues of protocol and statistical analysis are daunting. "

Agreed, the devil is in the details. Documentation is probably the most difficult mand time consuming part of testing. Yet it is the most critical if one expects their results to be repeatable.

"What little studying I have done of the subject of double blind testing to date, has lead me to conclude that there are no reported results of cable DBTs that adhered to proper protocol and involved a sufficient number of trials to be considered reliable from a scientific viewpoint."

I believe this gets back to "not invented here" - seems everyone wants to use their own methodology. And I believe that it is because it gives the results they want, not necessarily accurate results. Can I prove it? No, but there are those who have made some fantastic claims that no one else has been able to repeat because of the methodology the claimant used.

Your Questions:

1) Arny Kreuger has done some work in this area. He has shown that as a system, you can get differing results by swapping different components around. As far as I know, this work is still theoretical. The work only centers on amplifier/speaker cable/speakers. (This obviously muddies the DBT waters for speaker cables)

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I wish you had numbered your points...... - Jitter_by_Coffee 07:50:10 11/12/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.